What are veneers?
Veneers are thin, custom-made shells crafted of tooth-coloured materials designed to cover the front side of teeth to improve the overall appearance of teeth.
What are veneers made of?
Veneers are made of either thin plastic resin (composite) or porcelain.
Why are veneers placed?
Veneers can be used to:
- Correct poorly formed or mildly mal-positioned teeth.
- Close gaps between teeth.
- Mask internal stains.
- Restore partially broken-down teeth.
What is the process for veneers?
- Tooth preparation is minimal and confined to the enamel structure.
- The veneer is bonded to the tooth structure with tooth-coloured resin cement.
- Several visits are necessary to complete treatment.
Patients should be aware that this is usually an irreversible process because it’s necessary to remove a small amount of enamel from your teeth to accommodate the shell.
How long do veneers last?
This will depend on the material that the veneer is made from but on average, porcelain veneers tend to last for about 10 years. However they can last for even longer if properly cared for and with the right maintenance. Many of our patients have porcelain veneers that still look great after 20 years.